CIRCA invites applications for the position of Temporary Project Specialist to provide support on projects that require mapping and Geographic Information Systems expertise.
Under the direction of designated supervisor (Prof. James O’Donnell), the position will provide program support in the following activities: mapping, GIS analysis, computer programming for data analysis and visualization. A moderately advanced understanding of the subject matter and its practical application is required. Incumbents in this position are expected to work independently but with the goals and objectives established by the supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the planning, development, design implementation and evaluation of activities to achieve program objectives
- Conducts studies, collects necessary data, evaluates information and prepares analytical reports related to program specialty
- Serves as resource for CIRCA staff and others regarding program information and techniques, requiring a moderately advanced knowledge in area of specialization
- Plans, develops and implements methods and techniques of informing/educating, in coordination with program staff; may develop topics, prepares information designed to communicate and interpret information to the public and others
- Is responsible for the successful completion of individual project elements
- May conduct workshops and seminars to instruct, inform and/or train others in the area of specialization
- May be responsible for various administrative duties as assigned
- May participate in the planning, development and implementation of grant proposals
- May represent the program or department to external groups
- Performs related duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in marine, earth or environmental science, or engineering, or closely related field and experience with computer programming and data analysis or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Two to four years professional experience related to coastal science and adaptation planning
- Comprehensive knowledge of the program specialty area appropriate to CIRCA, and proven ability to apply a range of concepts, techniques and practices to carry out technical program objectives
- Proven ability to evaluate and produce reliable results, problem-solve and trouble shoot problems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
This is a temporary, full-time position with hours from 9 AM to 5 PM, M-F. The appointment term is six months with the possibility of extension. The position is subject to extension based upon performance and availability of funding. The pay range is $24-$33 per hour. Optional State employee health insurance may be available for purchase at group rates.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Successful candidates will be contacted to schedule an interview. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.