CIRCA is seeking applicants for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to support the Connecticut Connections Coastal Resilience Plan. The Post Doc will work with a CIRCA science team developing information and data for this four-year project that is building a resilience framework for the state. With the supervision of CIRCA’s Executive Director, this position will work on the development, testing and application of numerical models of circulation in complicated coastal areas to determine levels and patterns of flood risk. Assessment of the effectiveness of proposed risk reduction strategies will also be required. The Post Doc will gain experience working in a research team environment at CIRCA and have opportunities for professional development. This position will report to University of Connecticut’s Avery Point campus located in Groton, CT.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, test and execute simulations of wave impacts and flooding in coastal areas.
- Participate in field work/observation campaigns.
- Critically analyze results and prepare reports and publications.
- Prepare journal articles.
- Participate in workshops and meetings for municipalities and regional councils of government on climate resilience and adaptation.
- Participate in capacity-building studies and engagement programs, including climate science communication, and training in design and engineering.
- May be responsible for miscellaneous administrative duties as assigned.
- May participate in the planning, development and implementation of grant proposals.
- PhD. in Physical oceanography, Coastal Engineering, or a closely related field.
- Experience with the FVCOM or related models and tools.
- Experience with modern, community models of coastal circulation and wave dynamics.
- Experience with computing technology (e.g. Matlab, FORTRAN) and data management.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work effectively with a team of collaborators.
- Ability to travel throughout the state and region, conduct oceanographic field work, and participate in occasional evening and weekend meetings.
- Available to start work at UConn Avery Point, Groton, CT within one month of offer.