Search #: 495756
Work type: Full-time
Location: Avery Point Campus
The University of Connecticut (UConn) seeks applicants for the position of Community Resilience Planner in the Connecticut Institute for Resilience and Climate Adaptation (CIRCA) to provide support for various phases of the Resilient Connecticut Program as well as support to new programs. CIRCA is a multi‐disciplinary center that coordinates applied research and engagement programs to develop and advance practical solutions to problems caused by changing climate. CIRCA is located on UConn’s Avery Point Campus in Groton, CT.
The Community Resilience Planner will work with the CIRCA team, the Councils of Government (COGs), and municipal stakeholders throughout Connecticut to advance climate resiliency planning through mapping, technical analysis, planning document development, and sustained engagement. Activities will include use of GIS and StoryMap in the collaborative development of plans and reports, participation in, coordination of, and reporting from meetings with municipalities and COGs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Populate and manage a GIS database to support the evaluation of vulnerability, risk, and resilience.
- Analyze and interpret social, economic, population, climate vulnerability, and land-use data.
- Assist in preparing, coordinating, and facilitating of public involvement and consensus-building meetings and workshops; document the outcomes of meetings.
- Contribute to reports and plans, public meeting summaries.
- Develop ESRI StoryMaps.
- Collaborate with the Environmental Justice (EJ) Coordinator and Director of Engagement.
- Administrative duties as assigned.
- B.S./B.A in Planning, Geography, Environmental Science, or a closely related field.
- Three years of post degree experience in geographic information systems (GIS) and community or environmental planning.
- Experience with public engagement.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience planning and facilitating virtual and in-person meetings and workshops.
- Ability to travel to work locations throughout the state of Connecticut and New England region and participate in occasional evening and weekend meetings.
- Demonstrated experience working with municipalities and COGs in Connecticut.
- Additional experience working with state, regional, and local agencies and community organizations.
- Effectiveness in a team work environment
- Knowledge or experience in modern principles and practices of environmental planning, climate vulnerability, and/or adaptation planning
This is a full-time, 12-month, annually renewable position with an anticipated start date of December 2021. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment at the University of Connecticut is contingent upon the successful candidate’s compliance with the University’s Mandatory Workforce COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. This Policy states that all workforce members are required to have or obtain a Covid-19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment at UConn, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495756 to upload a resume, cover letter, a short writing sample, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern December 21, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Oct 22 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Dec 21 2021 Eastern Standard Time